Thursday, April 16, 2009

Turning Normal into Special


As I sit here this morning, excited to see her for the first time in 4 months, I can’t stop thinking about how anonymous her life has been. Not to her, but to all the rest of us, in our terms. To her it’s ‘normal’.


This trip is the culmination of thousands of hours of work, time, money and prayer for us, and others that have helped. Starting 14 months ago for her, and us. She was born and put in an orphanage, never visited by anyone. Pretty normal where she is right now. Kaia and I felt the need to adopt, strangely enough the same week she was born. We started the mountain of paperwork, home study, phone calls, classes, dossiers, trips, medical checkups and interviews. So much, it was daunting, and we gave up a few times. But we kept going, kept hoping and praying that there was some baby out there, meant special for us.


All for this normal little girl that sits, alone in an orphanage crib this morning as the sun comes up. She might be awake, just a few blocks away, thinking her thoughts. Waiting for her turn to be picked up and fed and changed, then set down to roll around in the all-too familiar playpen area with the others. Two naps a day, just to pass time. 4 dishes of ‘food’ a day, always in a rush. 4 cups of juice or water, again-the same. Cared-for, but that is all. Nothing special.


She has no way of knowing this morning, when we see her in 6 hours, or tomorrow, or next week when we take her with us-what a special girl she is. How we think and pray about her, about her closet of clothes at home. Her own room repainted with her specal color, a happy tree, her furniture, quilts, bed, dresser, toys-just for her. Just for her, and for us to show her how special she is. We are desperate for her to know our love, to feel how much she matters to us. I have been feeling trapped, unable to do anything for her, and her thoughts and feelings. That is about to change, if only for two hours today, then tomorrow when she meets her brothers, then her Aunt, and then you, and so on. That she is Special.


Someday Sylvi will read this, and be as struck as I am this morning, of how awesome of a story this is-her story and our story. But for now, she’s thinking, “The sun is coming up. I’m waiting to be picked up, by someone, anyone, this morning. Change my diaper and feed me. Smile at me, maybe if I clap and giggle again, you will laugh before setting me down.”


Soon that will change. She won’t remember us today; it’s been 4 months. But, tomorrow she will. I promise that. And tomorrow she’ll feel Special.

8 comments:

Auntie Kari said...

And so the crying begins... JP, that was so beautiful! Very soon Sylvi will have no doubt about how special she is! We all love her so much already!!

Unknown said...

Sylvi is so blessed to be joining your family. She will get to experience the love of parents and brothers who want only the best for her. We are so excited for her and for you. We can't wait to hear more about your journey.
-The Getzingers

Anonymous said...

Wow--what a special love you have to give that precious little one--and our hearts are overflowing with love for YOU and for HER! We can't think of another thing right now.....Love from Gma and Gpa

The Forsythes said...

We are reading this over and over....This has to be a book some day! I hope our little one was doing good today! Please email soon! This is so emotional and we are not even there! We love you very much! Uncle Jon, Auntie Kirsten, Nick and Chan

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I cried the first time, when I had to have Kirsten read this to me (I had no access to a computer.. and couldn't wait until I got home!) and now I'm crying again. I'm so glad that the hard part of this journey is coming closer to an end, so that Sylvi can finally start her life! She is sooo blessed, and she will get to know this soon. You guys are so amazing.
Deanna

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to hear that you got there safely. I've been thinking of you the last two days! We're anxiously awaiting any news of your meeting with Sylvi. I remember how agonizing it is to actually be in your child's country but still not have him/her! Don't plan on getting any sleep tonight - you'll be too busy watching the clock!

Just reading your blog makes me want to hop on a plane and adopt again. (Luckily, Sean is not reading over my shoulder at the moment!) We'll keep praying for all of you!

Kerri for the Cunninghams

p.s. I subbed in the boys' class this afternoon. It wasn't the same without them!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!Sylvi is so special to be Joining such A SPECIAL FAMILY as you guys!! You guys are amazing and have made this a amazing journey for her that she will always be blessed and will grow up to be a special person just as her parents are!!! Are thoughts are with you everyday. Love The Jackels

Jessica Musgrave said...

Sylvi is so lucky to have you for her family! That was such a sweet blog. As we read it aloud we couldn't help but cry.
The kids and I sure miss the boys. We check the blog at school and the kids would like to see more photos :)
Jessica and Dianna